Saturday, June 21, 2008

Garden update

As you may recall, we expanded our garden this year. Last year was our first attempt at planting veggies and we had success. It was also a learning lesson. For our first garden I picked things I like and some I thought would be fun to grow. We had a couple of tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, peas, strawberries, peppers ... and the odder (not successful) choices were artichokes, watermelon, onion, and broccoli.

For our second, doubled-in-size garden, I tried to plant more things that will actually grow in this climate. We have the standard stuff from last year and I've added: carrots, green onions, beets, chard, zuchcini, chives, lettuce, dill, parsley, shallots, soybeans, eggplant, and some other herbs. Many of these were started from seeds! I planted 12 tomatoes seeds hoping for 4 to make it to maturity -- I've got 11 in the garden. If they actually produce tomatoes, I'm screwed! Same with the zuchcini -- I was warned by Koji's Kitchen to only plant 1 zuchcini. But, when you start them from seeds, you cannot be sure how many will make it. Turns out all 3 did. And to make matters worse I added a started herloom yellow squash today.

I still have lots to learn. Thanks to Koji's Kitchen for sharing her knowledge. It continues to be a fun project and I was giddy when we had our first salad from the garden last week! Here are a couple of updated photos. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I hope the CA clan gets a break from the heat soon! If not, pack your bags and come up and enjoy our garden!



2 comments:

Steve said...

It looks great! And with no back seats in the Element, you have a place for the zukes!

Sonnjea said...

It's amazing! I'm so jealous of your lettuce! Great job.